Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I need to amend my bylaws and need help, Georgia, Yes...my…

Customer Question
I need to amend...

I need to amend my bylaws and need help

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

Georgia

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes...my non profit organization will now include a chapter on a college campus and currently my bylaws state the only members will be the board of directors

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Thats it

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
3/29/2017
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Does your non profit have any members besides those who are on the Board of Directors? What does the certificate of incorporation say about members and how many there can be?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hello RichardNo members besides BOD.. this is what is listed on my bylaws..ARTICLE II – MEMBERS
Membership shall only consist of the Board of Directors.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would like to have affiliates (chapter) on a college campus and not sure how to re-word bylaws to fit this particular need.

You only gave what the Bylaws state. You must look at the Articles of Incorporation as that is what governs. You did not explain the nature of the non profit and why affiliates have to be members.