Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I own a business and my business was served with a lawsuit…

Customer Question
I own a business...

I own a business and my business was served with a lawsuit from a contractor but the contractor also named me personally as a second defendent in the lawsuit that the business received. I have not been served and I do not personally have a contract with that contractor what can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

California

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?

Yes they filed that we were both served even though my registered agent of the business was the only one to be served I havent been served persoanlly

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much is it for your service

Lawyer's Assistant: It's only $5.

Ok thats fine

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
3/21/2017
Business Lawyer: Infolawyer, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Infolawyer, Attorney
Contract I assume with business
Regardless of merits or lack of it you should not be named.
You may move to dismiss for this reason.A lawyer can serve an answer for the company and move to dismiss you.martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options.If contractor breached, consider counterclaim for damages.Kindly rate me five stars.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
They are claiming an alter ego that the business is the same as the owner and they wish to pierce the corporate veil. But I have a well established S-CORP for my company and I have an accountant that files all the taxes and keeps the company compliant and just because a contractor feels he wasnt paid properly shouldnt merit piercing the corporate veil. He said in an email that he was only owed $3,500 but now is claiming this is a limited civil case of under $25,000 because he suffered damages from not getting paid. What is the motion I should file for me personally to dismiss myself from the case?

Piercing is an extreme remedy and absent fraud or failure to adhere to any corporate formalities it would fail. You can move to dismiss on this basis, or if the court wants there to be some discovery, later move for summary judgment.

Kindly rate me positively.

Infolawyer, Attorney