Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

My husband owns a contruction company and has a professional…

Customer Question
My husband owns a contruction...
My husband owns a contruction company and has a professional engineer license in his individual name both in the State of Florida. He has a State of Florida General Contractor License, State of Florida Electrical License, State of Florida Plumbing License and State of Florida Mechanical License (all under one name, construction company). To complete a Design/Build
delivery system on a small project, we use the construction letterhead.Is it legal for him to hire himself for the engineering portion of the contract without an engineer license number being under the company name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
3/21/2017
Business Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney with Just Answer. I'll be here to help today! Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

You know, I apologize tremendously. This is an area of law that I could not competently answer for you. Let me return your question to the question bank for another expert to pick up. Thanks for using Just Answer!

Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

You can do what you have in mind but the construction company should subcontract your husband to specifically do the design work that requires the engineering license. He should be compensated just as would any other engineer would be if they were subcontracted to do the work. That way there is no question that the portions of the contract that require a licensed engineer are being done by a licensed engineer.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney