Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

Is there a legal term of "cause of action" that one can

Customer Question
Hello,Is there a legal term...
Hello,Is there a legal term of "cause of action" that one can theoretically bring forth against an attorney for misrepresenting facts and ridiculous threats? I've been dealing with an attorney that is non-stop sending me demand letters requesting ridiculous accommodations and legal action against me (I am a landlord, and he is my tenant). I've been advised by two of my attorneys that none of his arguments have any merit at all, and that he is just trying to scare me by playing his card and making it sound like I'm in trouble.I was thinking something like "misrepresention" or something that may be in a lawyer's moral/ethics code they have to abide by? Is there anything like that, that I can reference?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
2/15/2017
Business Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 1 year ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Question:

I was thinking something like "misrepresention" or something that may be in a lawyer's moral/ethics code they have to abide by? Is there anything like that, that I can reference?

Response: Yes, there is. See California Rules of Professional Conduct, Chapter 5 Rule 5-100. You may consider filing complaint against the Attorney with Lawyer Regulation. Click here for more information.

Best wishes,

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi Phillips. Thanks for the link. Though, it looks like Rule 5-100 applies when an attorney himself uses threats that apply to another person and their licensing, etc. I was thinking more along the lines of pure "fake" legal arguements. The attorney I'm dealing with has been issuing demand letters to *me* that have legal arguments without any merit and without any legal backup. They make no sense at all and I believe he is doing this for other reasons (like rent reduction, etc.). Is there anything along those lines? Either in general legal principles or the ethics code? Essentially, something that says, "A lawyer shouldn't bring forth legal arguments that aren't sound, or aren't actually true, by trying to bully a non-lawyer." Something like that, and I have no idea what the legal term would be.

Thank you for the additional information.

I am sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I was offline when your response came in.

The Rule that I cited also applies when an Attorney is acting on his own behalf. Unfortunately, I do not have anything else to add. So, I will opt out to give another Attorney the opportunity to further assist you.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law