How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJLLAW Your Own Question
KJLLAW, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1451
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
KJLLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I want to start a monthly food subscription box that send

This answer was rated:

I want to start a monthly food subscription box that send you packaged ingredients along with a recipe that you can make at home. What do I need in order to sell and send ingredients? Can I package ingredients at home or do I need a special warehouse facility? Are there any licenses I need?

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site, the answers are for general information. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You can start your own food subscription service where you send packaged ingredients to customers with relatively no problems. You can start such an endeavor in your own house or you can rent space at a local restaurant, bakery or culinary school which would have all permits I place.

If you do start out of your house you will be required to obtain permits from your local health department, for the handling of the food products and the prepping and boxing. You will also be required to obtain a sales tax license/number from your state for any sales tax collected on the goods sold.

You should contact your local health department concerning requirements for obtaining the health permit, and submit any paperwork and prepare for an onsite health inspection before opening your meals to go business.

You may also form an LLC or a corporation to shield your personal assets from any liabilities that may arise out of the business operations of the business, which can be done in your state. Many start up food processing and packaging companies also obtain what is called business insurance or business liability insurance or general liability insurance, which protects against claims for bodily injury, property damage, advertising and personal injury.

It was a pleasure assisting you today, and I would appreciate if you would rate my service, so I will receive credit and payment for my work. After you rate the question you can ask follow up questions, and you will not be charged any additional money for the follow-up questions.

If you have any other questions just ask
If you have any other questions just ask
KJLLAW and other Business Law Specialists are ready to help you