Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have an idea that who knows, could catch on on YouTube and

Customer Question
I'd be hoping to monetize...
I have an idea that who knows, could catch on on YouTube and I'd be hoping to monetize it through number of views. There's nothing proprietary about it, just a cool/funny/healthy idea. I met a guy who has some YouTube stuff up already and said he could help produce it and get it on YouTube, monetize it etc. He's a great guy but my fear is once it's out of the bag, I have no protection. How would I go about getting protection? Once it's out, other people can copy it. Thanks!!!
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
1/9/2017
Business Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

Generally, ideas themselves are not afforded formal intellectual property protection such as copyright, trademark, or patent. For example, the formula for making Coke is what is known as a trade secret. The formula would be protected via a non-disclosure agreement if it needed to be disclosed to a third-party manufacturer, for instance. So, if you disclose the idea on Youtube, you are right, it would not have any protection. However, if you write a book about it, copyright it, and market it; then you would be paid the royalties. Or, you could make your Youtube video so that a fee is charged to view it.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney