Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

MA** we have been involved in a years- litigation with a

Customer Question

MA** we have been involved in a years-long litigation with a real estate agent, John. Our attorney recently discovered that our John's counsel has been charging /both/ the cost of litigating against us /and/ defending his client (from our counterclaims) to the insurance company of John's former broker, when they were entitled to only getting reimbursed for the cost of the defense. How is this possible? And, should John's counsel have disclosed this seeming conflict of interest to all parties? And, because John's counsel has a history of not behaving ethically, we suspect he may have misrepresented the charges such that the litigation costs were rolled into the defense budget. If that's the case then what recourse is there against John's counsel? If he had misled the insurance company to pay him for litigating the case, then he had no incentive to settle, that is, he had every incentive to continue his usual practice of 'churn and burn' through our budget.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 6 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Since this is the opposing side's counsel and not your counsel, you have no standing to complain about what he does. He owes you no duty and any issue of what he charges the other side's insurance company has no bearing on your case. Sorry for the bad news but that is where you stand legally.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.