Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I am a resident of the U.S. and will travel to Colombia. My

Customer Question

I am a resident of the U.S. and will travel to Colombia. My question: Where do I get dollars exchanged by Colombian currency? I have heard that airports and hotels do so but the exchange rate is very much in favor of the airport or hotel currency business.Also, if I use my credit cards, is this wise or there will be fees for using my us credit card or debit card in Colombia?are travelers checks an option to use in Colombia?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

You can go to a local bank to buy Columbian currency. Whether exchanges are available can vary from bank to bank but it is best to do it in the morning to exchange US dollars for Pesos. There are also money exchange bureaux that exchange cash for pesos. The best exchange rate and most convenient is obtained by your credit card company. Consequently, you are best served by using your credit card to make as many purchases for goods and services as possible.

Travellers checks are not readily usable except in major hotels. You can take them as a form of back up cash to use to exchange for local pesos.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.