Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

During civil litigation that my company brought against a

Customer Question

During civil litigation that my company brought against a person in Virginia federal court (case still pending) for fraud and conversion of a patent portfolio, the defendant filed counterclaims against both my company and myself personally that were proven to be absolutely frivolous and also show that no rule 11 investigation by either the defendant (who is a lawyer himself) nor his attorney (a Virginia lawyer) was done to support any of the bogus counter claims.The defendant (through his lawyer) dropped the claims against me personally days before the deadline to serve me was set to expire and it was clear that the bogus counterclaims were filed with the intent to harass my company and myself in order to intimidate me to accept a settlement proposal. In fact, the day after they filed their bs counterclaims they also sent over a settlement demand letter to try and get us to stop the litigation (that didn't work for them).We are going to file a bar complaint against the lawyer we are currently suing, but I also want to file a bar complaint against the lawyer who he brought on ten days before he filed a bogus 50 page counterclaim against my company and myself personally. Their counterclaim document had very serious allegations that had no good faith basis for being filed and since April of 2016 those statements they made about myself and my company are out in the public domain.For filing a bar complaint against the defendants lawyer who intentionally neglected evidence in his possession before filing the counterclaims, and who also never once contacting any people he referenced for any of the bogus claims made in the filed counterclaims against my company and myself personally....what risks are there for me if I file the bar complaint against the defendants lawyer?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 6 months ago.

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

Your Question:

what risks are there for me if I file the bar complaint against the defendants lawyer?

Response: None, legally if your allegations are true. However, the Attorneys may retaliate by filing more frivolous claims against you and your company. Obviously, you can file Motion with the Court for Sanctions for violation of Rule 11.

Best wishes,