How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 41035
Experience:  I have 30 years as a business lawyer in Texas
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a corporation. i live in florida. the corporation

Customer Question

i have a corporation. i live in florida. the corporation generates less than $10.000 in a year. i have a corporation and i need to file taxes for federal and state. i am tired of this. can i replace the need of the corporation for other type of entity where i not need to file taxes to the state and can i keep a business name other than my name?
Submitted: 7 months ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 months ago.

Yes you would dissolve the corporation and have a dba.***** ***** dba Good Times Construction.This makes you a sole proprietorship under the dba.You just need to register the dba.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 months ago.

Under Florida law, a business must file a DBA if it seeks to operate under a name different from the name under which it was formed or from its owners. This applies whether the business is a corporation, a type of partnership, or a sole proprietorship.

Registering a DBA allows the business to use the name to open bank accounts, conduct transactions, and even to advertise. A business can file for a DBA before the business is legally formed, but most do so after the company is up and running.

You can do that here

Once your dba is registered you can do business under that name here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 7 months ago.


  1. Register with the State: With a DBA/fictitious name you will be able to register the name with the state to conduct business with this name for the entire state. A lot of very small businesses choose this path, or those who are not sure if the company is going to fly and want to start small and work up to incorporating later.
  2. What to Consider: If you choose the DBA as your filing, then name you choose can be used by another company. So the name is ***** ***** you alone in Florida. The other thing to consider is that if you file a DBA, there is no limited liability. What this may mean to you is that if someone sued the company, your personal assets would be available in a lawsuit. If this is not a concern then a DBA would be fine.
  3. Legal Notice and Business License: Once you have the DBA filed with the state, then you will need to do a Legal Notice in a local newspaper, then obtain a business license with your county. A business license/occupational license or business tax receipt is required by most counties in Florida to have the legal ability to do have a business in that county. Check with your local tax collectors office to see what they require.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.Thanks again.