Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Can a -General Building contractor with a C10-Electrical

Customer Question
Can a B-General Building contractor...
Can a B-General Building contractor with a C10-Electrical license conduct a pest inspection (mold in particular). If possible, can you provide a list of what they are not or cannot inspect or limited too?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Business Law
11/29/2016
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 11 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under CA law, B&P code 7057, "a general building contractor may take a prime contract or a subcontract for a framing or carpentry project. However, a general building contractor shall not take a prime contract for any project involving trades other than framing or carpentry unless the prime contract requires at least two unrelated building trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification or subcontracts with an appropriately licensed specialty contractor to perform the work. A general building contractor shall not take a subcontract involving trades other than framing or carpentry, unless the subcontract requires at least two unrelated trades or crafts other than framing or carpentry, or unless the general building contractor holds the appropriate license classification. The general building contractor may not count framing or carpentry in calculating the two unrelated trades necessary in order for the general building contractor to be able to take a prime contract or subcontract for a project involving other trades."
So, according to CA law, unless the contractor is licensed in mold remediation or pest extermination, as this does not involve framing or carpentry, no they cannot conduct such inspections.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney