Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have an agreement with my partner to split 50/50 all

Customer Question
proceeds. We had a client...
I have an agreement with my partner to split 50/50 all proceeds. We had a client that did not pay so we sued them. In the case my partner notified the attorney he withdrew from the case and if I wanted to pursue it would be on my dime alone. We are near a settlement and Im told the settlement check will be written to our joint company and mailed to the company address. That company address is to my partners home. He and I are parting ways and I fear he'll cash and keep all the funds. I told the attorney I would pick up the check and he refused to allow it. How can I stop my partner from taking all the money esp since he withdrew from the case?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
11/13/2016
Business Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney

There is no way to ensure that he doesn't but you would have strong grounds to sue him if he did try to deposit the money.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Since the check would be written to our joint company and I can deposit it, why can't I insist that I pick up the check then to have them mail it?

You absolutely can. I am advising in case he does not honor your request.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

So the attorney can chose to not honor my request for picking up the check?

He is your attorney so he should.

If you have no further questions a positive rating would be greatly appreciated

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated

Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney