Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

We are a preowned computer store that buys, repairs sells

Customer Question

We are a preowned computer store that buys, repairs sells them in our retail location. We bought a computer from this lady who apparently doesnt own it as there is a firmware lock so we called her, emailed her and stopped payment on the check. She has cashed that check at a check cashing place and now that place is asking for the value of the check plus 30 $. What are my options?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Texas typically we get calls from these places and verified over the phone that the check is valid these people did no
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: ? as in a police report?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 10 months ago.

Under these circumstances, I would tell the check cashing place you were a victim of fraud and are not responsible for the check value. The check cashing company should be seeking reimbursement form the fraudster.

You are entitled to stop a check from being cashed based upon fraud and that is what you did. Now it is the check cashing companies problem to collect from the fraudster.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.