How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 102504
Experience:  Counselor at Law.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son let someone use his debit card at the ATM once, the

Customer Question

My son let someone use his debit card at the ATM once, the person the didn't return the card later made 2 POS at a local grocery store and went back to the ATM the next day these were without his permission is there anything I can do about the other transactions after the initial transaction these I didn't know about
JA: What state are you in? And have you consulted a local attorney?
Customer: AR, no not yet
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: No spoke with bank they pulled tapes shows person at ATM
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I was in car with person on initial ATM withdrawal only
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Yes, there are some steps that can be taken.

1) If it is not too late, one can call card services and explain that the card was used without permission for the 2 POS. Then, it would be at the card services' discretion whether or not to reverse the charges.

2) For the ATM, a demand can be made for the money to be paid back. If the money is not paid back (for the POS or ATM), then your son can (a) file a civil complaint against the individual in court for the money used without permission, and/or, (b) file a criminal complaint as well. That's right - this can be a criminal matter because the individual effectively stole money from your son.

A letter threatening to do this unless they pay back the money may be often enough to have a matter such as this settled without the need of having to go to Court.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.