J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney
Experience:  Experience in general business transaction and formation matters.
64316804

Is it illegal to borrow money from an llp business account,

Customer Question

Is it illegal to borrow money from an llp business account, if the amount is under the $ amount in the llp agreement that needs all partners authorization. Also, since it is a short term loan and paid back and not just stolen/taken from account.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  J. Warren replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Borrowing from an LLP is no illegal but should at minimum be documented by a promissory note and should comply with any provisions of an LLP agreement. To minimize risk of upsetting partners or being accused of embezzling it would be best to seek approval even if under the amount permitted by agreement.

All my best and encouragement. Thank you for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which truthfully addresses your question. Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I made a purchase for a vehicle for $6200, which I use to drive to and from work. I paid the amount back within 60 days. I did not seek any type of approval from my partners first as I am the primary account holder and paid the loan back. At this point since I did not get approval first, what should I do to document this transaction?

If an amount is borrowed and paid back without a formal written document, the transaction can be documented by memorandum. The agreement whether written or otherwise is already satisfied and therefore can not be post documented by can be documented as satisfied if desired so there is proof it was paid back. This is not necessary however, can be used to document what occurred.

In the future if borrowing occurs it should be documented by a promissory note and agreed to by all parties.

Can I answer any additional follow up questions for you or clarify anything I have written above? If not, can you please press a positive rating above this message box in the ratings section so I will be paid for my time assisting you on this matter? Pressing a positive rating will not cost any additional money - it is simply the trigger used by Just Answer to pay me for my time (pressing the middle star or the fourth or fifth star on the right are all positive rating buttons).