Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

We filed our late return with Hewitt and had them to prepare

Customer Question
We filed our late return...
We filed our late return with Jackson Hewitt and had them to prepare the late return paperwork, The day we were there the electricity went down so she sent our paperwork to another office for her to do.
JA: The Accountant will know how to help. Please tell me more, so we can help you best.
Customer: she mailed our returns the next day and that was last Tuesday and she sent regular mail. I'm afraid someone has gotten out of our mailbox. Whose liability is it?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Accountant should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
10/29/2016
Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What do you mean "someone has gotten out of our mail box"can you explain as it is not clear what you are asking?
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page , as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If mail was delivered to our mailbox and someone stole it as that has been going on what then. We have no proof she mailed them. I don't want someone using our paper work to obtain loans and buy vehicles etc. Do we need to contact credit bureaus, banks etc. Right now I'm still upset and I'd rather type if that's ok to you.
Thank you for your reply.
You can disregard any offers of premium phone service, they are not sent out by the experts who are not employees of this site and have no control over the site automatically sending offers.
If someone is stealing mail from your mail box, you need to notify your local office of the US Postal Inspector, as they handle mail thefts.
You say you have no proof she mailed them, but there typically no proof of mailing of these returns when they are sent first class mail. If she mailed them to you at the same time, you should have received them by now and you need to double check with her to make sure she mailed you a copy and if she did then you need to contact the local postal inspector's office to report mail theft and see if they can locate the package.
At this point that is all you can really do besides monitor your credit report to make sure nobody is opening any new accounts under your name, as she is not liable if the mail is being stolen out of your mail box.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney