How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 42235
Experience:  I have 30 years as a business lawyer in Texas
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have received a notice of a debtors exam it was mailed to

Customer Question

I have received a notice of a debtors exam it was mailed to my old address and the new tenant gave it to me after the date ... what should I do I don't want to get into trouble
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

You need to contact the court clerk and lawyer here in writing.You would explain the situation and give them updated information.There is likely a pick up warrant here if they pull you over.Creditors really hope you don't show they will then have court issue a warrant and if you are pulled over they would hold you and bring you in front of the judge.You cannot bail out you may spend days in the jail depending on if this is a Friday or a holiday when court is not in session.

You need to contact them and try to resolve.They have right to reschedule this and ask you about assets here.It is a silent thing here , they figure sooner or later you get pulled over and they get to jail you for a day or two until court.You can fix this pretty easy in you write or call them and resolve this.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jail on a civil case ? Even when it's sent to my old address ???? I can't help they mailed to the wrong place
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Yes they can do so here, it is contempt warrant for failure to appear.Don't shoot the messenger.Once upon a time I was a debt collection lawyer here.They used your last known address.You can fix this but you need to do so otherwise someday they pick you up. Its a gotcha thing here.

Also if you have any money in bank account you need to keep minimal funds in it.They use credit bureaus to locate bank accounts,they notify you after the fact.Be safe here they have a judgment and are trying to garnish any accounts in your name.

I am just glad you asked now while you can fix this and hide funds from bank.If you have too operate in cash, get a safety box pay bills with cash or money orders.

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have been paying the debt why would they not allow me to continue to do so
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Well they have a judgment here.They can garnish bank accounts , etc even if you are paying.And they filed debtor exam to try and locate assets so resolve it and hide your money here.Stay ahead of the curve.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Order up your credit report to see if they have judgment

The three nationwide credit reporting companies have set up a central website, a toll-free telephone number, and a mailing address through which you can order your free annual report.

To order, visit, call 1-***-***-****. Or complete the Annual Credit Report Request Form and mail it to: ***** ***** Report Request Service, P.O. Box 105281, Atlanta, GA###-##-#### Do not contact the three nationwide credit reporting companies individually. They are providing free annual credit reports only through, 1-***-***-**** or mailing to Annual Credit Report Request Service.

You may order your reports from each of the three nationwide credit reporting companies at the same time, or you can order your report from each of the companies one at a time. The law allows you to order one free copy of your report from each of the nationwide credit reporting companies every 12 months.