Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I received a notice of court date after the date mailed to a

Customer Question
wrong address what do I...
I received a notice of court date after the date mailed to a wrong address what do I need to do???? I don't want to get into trouble the court date was for a debtors exam
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
10/20/2016
Business Lawyer: Maverick, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is***** give me a few minutes to review your inquiry. Thank you for your patience.

You need to send a letter to the court and the opposing counsel with a copy of the notice that you received and a copy of the front of the envelope showing the stamp as to when it was mailed if there is one. You will need to explain the reason why you did not appear and then just wait and see what happens. They will likely re-notice the debtor's exam with a new date.

See this law. You could try to file a motion for protective order if discussing an alternate date with opposing counsel does not work. This would be the more formal way to handle the issue.

Please Note:

(1) The information I provide is general in nature and for educational purposes only. For example, it may help you identify the scope of receiving unbundled legal services from a local lawyer. It should not be construed as “legal advice” or as the rendition of “legal services” on any subject matter. I am not a specialist in any field. This information may not reflect current legal developments for your specific jurisdiction and is not guaranteed to be correct or complete. No attorney-client relationship is established without a signed written agreement and our communications are not confidential. Please do not act or fail to act based on this information alone. If you need legal advice or services regarding a specific matter, you should consult in-person with a local lawyer who can guide you after reviewing all the pertinent details of your situation. This disclaimer also applies to any telephone communications we may have.

(2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours.

(3) When we are done, please assign a feedback rating.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Protective order? This is for a debtors exam

If the debtor's exam was ordered pursuant to a subpoena than one would normally file a protective order or a motion to quash the subpoena and argue at that hearing why he/she could not or should not have to comply.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
How do I do that? I have been paying the debt and would continue to do so but they was taking the payment out before I got my pay in my acct hence the court papers got filed
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
File a.motion to quash? I don't understand

I am not sure I am able to put the statements you have described above into context and what the current status of the case is. You may wish to opt for a phone call option on this. The cost is $59.00. Please see my offer. Or, you can just send the letter I first mentioned and wait for the court or other side to reschedule.

Maverick
Maverick
Maverick, Attorney