Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

1. What are the various licenses required when one wishes to

Customer Question

1. What are the various licenses required when one wishes to start a food business in CT, USA? Approximately how much would it cost to acquire these?2. Can we supply food cooked in our home kitchen on a small scale commercial level? What are the licenses / permits required to make this possible?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

When you say a food business could you explain exactly the type of business you have in mind? For example is it catering or selling food like a grocery store?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Richard, thanks for a prompt response. This is most definitely not a grocery store.
We are however, still contemplating using a facility such as a commissary to supply meals or maybe even a food truck. Considering that we'd like to start on a small scale, using our home kitchen will be more financially viable initially. Do let us know if the latter is possible. We are keen on knowing what licenses will be required and the time/ cost involved.

Thanks, ***** ***** do some research and get back to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure. Will await your response. Thanks

You do not need a specific license for food service businesses such as restaurants or catering. However, you will need a food services certification from the local health department. In addition you will need a sales and use tax certificate. You may also need a sales tax resale certificate if you will be buying food for resale as opposed to preparation. Here is a link to a CT website that will provide you the guidance that you need as you refine precisely what your business will look like.

http://www.ct-clic.com/FAQ/faqView.asp?FaqID=117&CategoryID=10

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

I sent you the answer to your question a few days ago. If you do not have any additional questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I do have follow up questions. I am in the process of studying the website you recommended. Will get back to you shortly

OK I will wait to hear from you. When I did not see additional questions or a rating I thought you had forgotten to rate the answer.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
55357;�
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Nope did not forget; we're pretty keen to get this going. Just evaluating the most lucrative option ��

OK