Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I want to make sure that I can conduct my business globally?

Customer Question
Hi there, I want to...
Hi there, I want to make sure that I can conduct my business globally?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: California
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: we are going to start selling outside of the states and we want to make sure that we don't get copied that we are sage
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
10/6/2016
Business Lawyer: RGMacEsq, Attorney replied 1 year ago
RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

What type of business are you in? Why would you think that you couldn't conduct it globally?

Did you see my follow up questions to your issue?

Hello?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi there, sorry I was away from my computer
we are in the jewelry software cad solutions

Okay. And again why do you think that you couldn't conduct your business globally?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It's not that I don't think I can, we are about to go into a business partnership with people in China and I want to know that I am protected

So you're asking about noncompete / nondisclosure agreements?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I already have those agreements, is there anything else I need to do to protect our business

Nondisclosure and noncompete are important. Patents and copyright can be helpful in the right circumstances, but it's really the NDAs and NCAs that are going to protect you best. Now even though you might have such agreements in place, there's always a risk that they're going to reneg on those agreements. It's happened before (many times) and it will happen again. There's little that you can do to absolutely protect yourself, but the NDA and NCAs are going to be the best strategies. Escrow or some sort of "deposit" is always an option, but it's generally difficult to get the other party to agree to it. A good NDA and NCA will protect you most of the time. Most other things are overkill after thatt, and if the company is going to breach the agreement then it's going to breach it. It's rarely something that you can absolutely stop. Just make sure that you go with good partners and get those NDAs and NCAs signed and keep the originals.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time (> 1 HOUR) and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★).

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively (3 or more stars, on your screen). It's only after you rate that I am credited.

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq
RGMacEsq, Attorney