Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

How do you obtain a Title for vehicle if the thing covered

Customer Question
in a bill of lading...
How do you obtain a Title for vehicle if the thing covered in a bill of lading to be auctioned pursuant to cal. commericial code 7307 and 7308 is a vehicle.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
9/29/2016
Business Lawyer: Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard - Bizlaw

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

If you buy the car you will get a bill of sale or other evidence that you purchased the vehicle. You will take the vehicle free and clear of any liens on the vehicle. That will be your proof of ownership to register the vehicle in your name. However, to register the vehicle you will have to pay renewal fees and penalties that may be owed. Once those fees are paid plus sales taxes you will get new taxes.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
first step is send letter by certified mail to any interested party to pay off freight charges, if non pays, then sell it with a bill of sale.

Yes that is correct. The other persons who have an interest must be notified so they can pay the freight charges and retain he vehicle.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Can place it on public auction and bid for the vehicle my self?

Yes that would be a commercially reasonable manner of selling it.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can do the letter sending by certified mail and placing on auction my self. Are you able to provide a service as to the paper work to get it registered in my name or the person who wins?

To do the paperwork to register your vehicle would be providing representation which is not permitted by the site. However, once you have the bill of sale the Dept. of Motor Vehicle will walk you through what needs to be done.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
This site allows you to provide additional services for for a fee set at your discretion

I cannot file your registration renewal and change of ownership form from here. The additional services would be for providing information such as helping you review an agreement or giving guidance on handling a particular situation. To register the vehicle you have to go to the department where they will tell you what the costs of changing the title and renewing the registration. You will also have to pay a tax on the purchase price of the vehicle just like if you bought a new vehicle. All these things have to be done at DMV on their forms.

Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney