Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
18695994

I have several sales tax assessments from my business I

Customer Question

I have several sales tax assessments from my business I received a certified letter and haven't picked it up yet I'm sure it is regarding the assessments it's from the clerk of courts from my county in ohio please advise of my options and should I pickup the letter
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

Have you made your sales tax payments and filed all the returns? Why were the assessments made?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
They was filed but my employee was to pay them and I thought they was and they failed to do it

Not picking up the letter will not change anything. What happened to the money that was supposed to be used to pay the taxes? Do you still have the money?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I thought it was paid on the taxes and it wasn't so I assumed the money in the account was accurate after the taxes was paid and it wasn't
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The money was spent based on the knowledge of thinking the balance in the acct was after the taxes was paid

You will have to contact the tax authorities and work out a payment plan to pay back the money. Sales tax is essentially trust fund money for which you as the responsible person are personally liable. Going forward you have to make sure that the sales taxes are paid when due and all tax filings are timely made. Delaying contacting them will only make things worse. The sooner it is addressed the better.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Who should I contact in the state of Ohio

I am sure there will be a contact number in the letter they sent. Otherwise you contact the sales tax office where you file the returns.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Do you think they will let me pay it back on payments .

Yes I expect so. That is why the sooner you contact them the more they will feel you are a responsible business man he made a mistake.

If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.

I sent you an answer a couple of days ago and have not heard from you. If I have answered all your questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.

Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 9 months ago.

I sent you the answer to your question a few days ago. If you do not have any additional questions, please highly rate my answer as that is how I get credit for working on your question.