Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

Does this statement in our church Bylaws mean that the

Customer Question
pastor should be voted on...
Does this statement in our church Bylaws mean that the pastor should be voted on on an annual basis?
Statement from the Bylaws
B. Unless otherwise provided in the Bylaws, all officers of the church and its organizations shall be elected to service for a one year period.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2016
Business Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Lawyer

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

This clause has to do with the Executive Personnel of the Church. Whether it applies to the Pastor depends on how the Pastor is positioned in your Church. If your Pastor is an Officer then yes.

BUT most churches have the Pastor established as an employee of the Church and have them on a contract.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't think my question was fully answered.

No problem. What additional information do you need?

Can you tell me whether the Pastor also holds an officer position?

Usually, the Pastor is not an Officer, but rather they are on a contract. Do you know how your Pastor is engaged?

I need to go off line. I will Opt out so that another expert can assist you at no additional charge. Do not rate me or respond so that the question can remain open for you.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Business Lawyer: Irwin Law, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney

Hello. Another expert here and I will be happy to assist with your question. I have worked with religious organizations and served on the board of several. As the previous expert said, the pastor is an employee of the church board. He is almost never an officer of the congregation which are established in the bylaws.There will always be a written contract for services between the board and the pastor. I don't see any other parts to your question, but if I'm missing something there, please send me a reply and I will be happy to respond today.

Please rate the answer so I may receive credit. There is no additional cost to you. Thanks for your understanding and for using JUST ANSWER.

Irwin Law
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney