Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
10285032

I am going to sell books over the internet and in person in

Customer Question

I am going to sell books over the internet and in person in multiple states. When do I have to collect sales tax, and do I need to set up a sales tax account in each state I sell a book in, even if I never visit the state, or if I visit the state, selling the book is the only business I conduct in the state?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
You only need to collect sales tax if due for sales made to customers in your state. If you are selling to customers in other states, any sales tax is on them and it is up to them to report and pay to their state if they choose. Since you are not located in those states, they do not have jurisdiction over you to collect sales tax on the internet sales, they would have to collect from the customer who lives in their state as they are responsible for paying sales tax to their state.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Do I need to notice any customer of the amount and that they need to pay the sales tax? I assume any state I am registered in to conduct business, as a foreign entity, I will be required to pay sales tax, in that state?
Thank you for your reply.
You do not have to inform them, but some internet sellers have on their bill of sale a statement that says "buyer is liable for any sales tax to their state."