How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask AttyHeather Your Own Question
AttyHeather, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 677
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
AttyHeather is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In Florida can I hold lien or tack of horse boarder who has

Customer Question

In Florida can I hold lien or tack of horse boarder who has not paid rent per written agreement
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state the property is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Has anything been officially filed? If so, what?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats all
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Just a moment as I research this.

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay in answering your question. I thought that I had provided the answer, and just noticed that I did not. Please accept my apologies.

In FL, the stable keeper's lien only extends to the horse, and not to the tack. If you have a contract that allows you to sell the tack, then you can do so in accordance with your contractual provisions. Otherwise, you can't hold or sell the tack for the non-payment of rent. If you don't have a provision in your boarder's agreement allowing you to do this, you should draft a provision and have it put in your agreement for the future.

I hope that helped.

Has that answered your question?

Expert:  AttyHeather replied 1 year ago.

Can you please let me know if I have answered your question? Please type in your response.