Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I have a Florida S corporation that I would like to close.

Customer Question
And it is already going...
I have a Florida S corporation that I would like to close. And it is already going to go inactive as of September and I want to make sure that none of it's liabilities follow me into my personal life or additional Business ventures.
Search liabilities include a penalty for late quarterly filing, and insurance company claiming I owe them a minimum payment,and a possible client dispute.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
8/30/2016
Business Lawyer: Loren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Loren, Attorney

Good evening. I am Loren, a Florida licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Does the corp have any assets?

Have you agreed to be personally liable to the client or insurance company?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No and no.
Client and Corp signed an AIA contract.
What about fines?

You would just be prevented from reinstating the corporation unless you paid all fines and late fees for not filing the annual report.

If you do not care if the corp is administratively dissolved then you should not have any personal liability.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm not concerned about reinstating the existing company. I'm a contractor and I'm going to transfer my license to a new company and I don't want anything to follow me.

It will not follow you. It is its own entity.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. There is no additional charge to you for rating me.

A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is NO additional charge to you for leaving a positive (5 stars) rating on this page.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Sorry I thought I had hit send. What of licenses are transferring from the old corporation to the new one? Is that an end run around the bankruptcy?

That is not really an issue of the corporation so much as the policy of the licensing bodies. In other words, it is a local issue.

It is not an end run around bankruptcy, and would not normally be an issue.

Just make the proper applications for transfer.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question. Thanks.

Loren, Attorney