How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Nishan Parlakian Your Own Question
Nishan Parlakian
Nishan Parlakian,
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 56
Experience:  Principal at Consumer Law Office of Nishan Parlakian, Esq.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Nishan Parlakian is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I fell out with my business partner, he then went to my

Customer Question

I fell out with my business partner, he then went to my customers and said many untrue negative things about me to my customers. One of the customers I lost, he even picked up as a customer after this event. I think suing him for defamation would be the best approach. Please let me know what you would suggest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Nishan Parlakian replied 1 year ago.

Hi, wow, sorry about these troubles. Ok so let me ask you, do you have any e-mails or letters or texts verifying or supporting the defamation? If not then it would be slander if it were just the spoken word. SO in these instances the truth would be a defense for any claim or action for slander or defamation. Ask yourself could your ex partner conceivably make out a case that would carry the day for him or her. If not are there any witnesses that could provide testimony to support your allegations? Even the customer himself. Be careful here because under depositions or cross examination in court the defense could refute earlier testimony. The most telling support would be for you to determine in dollars how much you have been damaged. In order to make it work for an attorney the damages would need to be fairly significant to make the suit worthwhile. That said you could bring an action in small claims if the damages are not great and might be better for you. You would sue locally and bring your evidence to court on the day. Many times these action wind up in a settlement and not trial so if you can angle towards some compensation but not a full blown action then filing an action might be worthwhile. Please let me know if you need more information. Generally these things are tort claims so there is no statute to offer guidance. Best, Sean