How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10629
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was recruited 3 years ago to play volleyball at a

Customer Question

I was recruited 3 years ago to play volleyball at a university. I was told by the head coach that I would be receiving a full scholarship. She stated in her email, which I have saved, that the only expense I would need to worry about is my airfare to and from home. After my second semester, I was informed by a teammate international just like myself that we were required to pay upwards of $800 in taxes on our scholarship to the school every semester. I am from a low income household and was unable to cover this fee, especially since it took me off guard. I was very clear in my initial video conversation with the head coach that I would not be able to pay any additional fees and was told that I need not worry. She, unfortunately, withheld this information from me. Had I known of this fee, my decision regarding this school would have been completely different. Now I am being denied access to my transcripts for a transfer because of a fee which I was told I would not have to! worry about at first. What are my options? I do not want or need any monies from the school, I just want my transcripts to continue my education on another full ride scholarship at a different college. I need this ASAP.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Tyna,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

As you have asked for a phone call, I will offer you that Premium Service and I'll process that offer to you after I get this posted to your question thread.

After you accept my offer of the phone call, would you please provide your phone number? After you do that, please send me a quick Reply to let me know that you have posted the number, so I can call you.

Thanks in advance,


Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Doug,I won't be able to pay an additional $41 for the call as I'm already paying for the membership. Is it possible to discuss my situation via this chat medium?Tyna
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.

Good morning,

I took the question because you asked for a call. As you don;t want a call I will opt out.

Your question is being placed back in the question list for other professionals to see, and to respond to. You do not have to stay online for the question to be active. Should another professional pick it up, you should be alerted by email unless you actively disable this feature.

There is no need for you to reply at this time as this may "lock" your question back to me, thus inadvertently delaying other professionals' access to it.

I apologize for any inconvenience and wish you well in your future.


Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

What country are you from? How much do you receive in room board and expenses for travel and living expenses?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am from St. Lucia. I am trying to open my financial aid agreement to see exactly how much I receive but the server is down. My room and board were completely covered. I took care of my travel expenses myself. They said that the fee is for taxes on my scholarship that the school has paid for and I'm to pay the school back.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Under U.S. tax law the portion of the scholarship that covers room and board and other incidentals is treated as taxable income. The portion of the scholarship that covers your tuition is not taxable.

The school was required to withhold 30% of the amount of the room and board. If they withheld based on the 30% withholding rate, then your room and board is about $5,300 for the year. Since I assume you do not have a job, your income for the year will be that $5,300. As a single tax payer you would be entitled to a single person's standard deduction which is $6,300. This alone will take your taxable income from $5,300 to $0 (you can't have negative income on the return for purposes of computing your taxes).

The $1,600 the school is talking about is what they sent to the IRS to cover the taxes on your income. However, since you will not have any income you will get a refund of everything sent to the IRS for taxes. The IRS will send back the $1,600 once you file your tax return. If the amount they are looking for comes from taxes payments they sent last year in 2015, all you should have to do is file the tax return for 2015 and the money will be refunded to you so you can pay back the school. I suggest you go to the school scholarship office and review this with them and they can help you get the tax forms you need. The forms are very simple if you use 1040A or 1040EZ. That should resolve the problem and you can stay in the school you are in and do not have to go elsewhere.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They charged me a little over $4,600 in taxes, however, my tax refund was for $2,468.
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

To have any taxable income at all you must have over $10,300 in income. I seriously doubt your room and board were anywhere near that. What was the other income you had?

Related Business Law Questions