Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am looking at options bankruptcy. Over the past 2 years, I…

Customer Question
I am looking at options...
I am looking at options for business bankruptcy. Over the past 2 years, I have racked up about $200K in business debt and just don't have the revenue to make the payments anymore. Literally, everything I make just goes to paying the payments and interest.
I am structured as an LLC but am looking at business bankruptcy as an option but want to ensure the banks can't take my house or attach a lien against other personal assets. I have three business lines of credit and a couple of credit cards, all currently maxed out or near maxed out.
If you have general advice or good resources for business bankruptcy facts, please let me know. Thanks.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/18/2016
Business Lawyer: Attorney2020, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney

Did you sign personal guarantees on any of the credit lines or credit cards?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

They don't show up on my personal credit but, technically, I believe they can use personal credit to obtain the loan. That being said, I think, technically I would be responsible personally but am not sure how often banks try to go after the founders personal assets when a business loan default occurs.

This occurs often. If the contract terms you to personally guarantee the loan, the bank goes after the entity that it can collect money from whether that be the individual or business. If you are planning bankruptcy to discharge debts and you personally guaranteed the loans, it would require you to file business and personal bankruptcy.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney