Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am trying to dissolve a DBA in California. Not yet. What?

Customer Question
I am trying to dissolve...
I am trying to dissolve a DBA in California.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: What?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
7/18/2016
Business Lawyer: J. Warren, Attorney replied 1 year ago
J. Warren
J. Warren, Attorney

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today! I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. It will take me just a few minutes to type a response to your question. Thanks for your patience!

What County is the DBA registered in?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Orange County - Santa Ana, CA

Thank you for the additional information. I am going to opt out of the question and open it up for the lawyer panel to assist you. I am not sure I can provide you additional information that you already do not know. Given that fictitious name filings are County specific the only information I can provide is that the FBN expires on the expiration date and to cancel you must contact the County Clerk.

I will opt out now another attorney will be with you shortly.

Business Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 1 year ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

First off, in CA a DBA is valid for 5 years and if not re-registered in that time it automatically dissolves. If the DBA is associated with a LLC or Corporation and you do not want to dissolve the main entity, you need to contact the clerk's office where you filed for your DBA and file an article of dissolution with them. If your DBA is associated with an LLC or corporation and you want to dissolve that entity as well, you need to file articles of dissolution with the secretary of state and you need to notify the IRS and Franchise Tax Board and get a letter from them that you owe no taxes and the secretary of state will issue a certificate of dissolution for the LLC/Corporation and you provide that to the local clerk where you registered your DBA to dissolve that as well.

You also need to file a copy of the dissolution with the IRS to cancel your DBA EIN if you have a separate EIN for the DBA. You can call the IRS at(###) ###-####for submission of the dissolution for the EIN number.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney