How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard - Bizlaw Your Own Question
Richard - Bizlaw
Richard - Bizlaw, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 10640
Experience:  30 years of corporate, litigation and international law
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Richard - Bizlaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I contracted with a software developer who has failed to

Customer Question

I contracted with a software developer who has failed to deliver a working product. I've paid them over $80,000 and had an outside audit done. The software is garbage and developers have refused to make appropriate fixes. What are my options? I've since hired a seperate group to rescue what we can.
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: California, developers are headquartered in Silicon Valley
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet, would like to know my options if any
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have ample documentation but the long and short is developers have failed to deliver a working product
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Corporate Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Richard - Bizlaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will try to help you. Please remember I just report or interpret the law, so the outcome may not be what you hoped for.

If the developer will not fix the software so it meets the standards of the contract for the development of the software you will need to get another company to make the necessary fixes. You can then sue the original developer for all the additional costs you incurred in getting the necessary fixes that exceeds the original contract price. You may also be entitled to additional damages that you may have suffered for the non performance but that will depend on the terms of the original contract and the nature of the damages you suffered.

If I have answered all your questions, please positively rate my answer as that is how I receive credit. If you have more questions, please let me know. If the answer was especially helpful you can provide a bonus.