How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116835
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a small business with three to four employees

Customer Question

I have a small business with three to four employees including me. it is incorporated. I received a letter from NC industrial commission regarding the work com. insurance I bought the insurance on March 2016. but I'm incorporated on 2008. and they asking a penalty of $35000.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

What is your question for us about this matter?

You do know as a corporation you would need to be represented by an attorney in any legal matters as a rule of law?

Have you tried to negotiate this with the state yet? Have you had this many employees since 2008?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didn't try to negotiate the penalty. I know I need a lawyer to handle this for me. yes this is the average employees I have . up to 2010 the work com is part of the real estate insurance policey
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
So, at this point, before getting an attorney, you need to try to negotiate the penalty down with them. They are not going to go down much I am afraid, but can agree to waive interest and penalty charges against you. However, these cases are difficult because the state is going to force you to pay them something for not having the workers compensation coverage. If you said that the workers compensation was part of your real estate insurance coverage up to 2010, you need to provide the state proof of that to at least start to get them to reduce the amount if they are including those 2 years in the penalty and back payment. So start there and if they will not negotiate, then I am afraid you will have to hire a local attorney to try to resolve this with them with a reduced amount and some affordable payment plan.

Related Business Law Questions