Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Attorney
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
91018665

Red an architect. he spent a week without doing much of a

Customer Question

hired an architect. he spent a week without doing much of a work. he was supposed to send some plans in a week. I gave him a deposit.He is terminated. He claims he did some stuff and does not want to return the deposit. We signed an agreement and the agreement has a clause for the architect will invoice the work spent before the termination. He says he sent the unused portion of the deposit to his lawyer. What am I supposed to do? call his lawyer or hire a lawyer for a 2k deposit?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
For the small amount involved your best bet would be to file a breach of contract claim in small claims court.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are a business. so we will need a lawyer, right?
No I do not believe you have to in Pennsylvania. I believe you can file as a corporation.
Any other questions we can help you with?

Let me know if you have any additional questions otherwise a positive rating is appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the law does say otherwise. no rating will be provided..

I do not follow. In small claims court you do not necessarily need an attorney.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where does it say that?

Page 3 of this document http://fjd.phila.gov/pdf/rules/mc-civil-rules-of-civil-practice.pdf

However other counties may not allow it. It can vary but my reading is Pennsylvania does allow it.