How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 34057
Experience:  30 years experience representing clients .
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Texas and am a small business owner. I recently

Customer Question

I live in Texas and am a small business owner. I recently did the flowers and decor for a client. The majority of the cost was the flowers. The day of decor was done as well. She got everything she ordered and I was told the flowers were beautiful. She put a stop payment on the check for $1358. The only thing paid was a $300 deposit. This was done without any complaints. After I contacted her she was upset that the venue would not let us put up tables outside due to a weather warning and that the cake stand she wanted to use was left at home. When we left the venue she said it looked great. She is refusing to pay what can I do to get this money paid?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon. I am Loren, a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

You have criminal and civil options.

Before you do anything, I would suggest you make a written demand that you be paid immediately, and threaten that if not paid, you will file a criminal complaint for theft and fraud.

Additionally, you can file suit in small claims court for breach of contract, fraud and theft of services. you may be entitled to collect punitive damages and attorney fees, as well as the amount owed for the flowers.

Small claims court is designed to be "user friendly" so that you can present a claim without an attorney. Also, it moves much more quickly than regular court. You can get the necessary forms to start from the clerk of the court.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Did you have further questions? Have I answered your question?

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (Excellent or Good) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.