How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Does anyone know what the disclosure requirements under

Customer Question

Does anyone know what the disclosure requirements under Section 368(f) reorganization that is merely a change in state charter through a domestication process? What information needs to be attached to the 1120S?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Please note that:

(A) The information we provide is general information. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by communicating with me. If you want legal advice, you must consult with a local attorney in person before acting or deciding not to act based on any information given here;

(B) Experts answer questions based on the honor system. When I feel that I have provided you with a complete answer, I will ask for you to assign a feedback rating so that JA will compensate me for my time; and

(C) You should not be concerned about any short delays between your questions and my replies. Please know that I answer most questions within the hour if I am signed on. If I am not signed on, then I still make every attempt to respond within 24 hours.

Thank you for taking the time to understand how this site works. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Answer will follow in the pane below as per above parameters….

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Here is the IRS bulletin that applies to your question. F reorganizations are tax-free transactions if they involve “mere” changes in a taxpayer's name or jurisdiction. Here are the six requirements that must be met:

The requirements are:
• immediately after a potential F reorganization, all stock of the resulting corporation must be distributed in exchange for stock of the transferor corporation in the potential F reorganization;
• the same person or persons own all the stock of the transferor corporation at the beginning of the potential F reorganization and all of the stock of the resulting corporation at the end in identical proportions;
• the resulting corporation doesn't hold any property or have any tax attributes immediately before the potential F reorganization;
• the transferor corporation must completely liquidate in the reorganization for federal income tax purposes;
• immediately after the potential F reorganization, no corporation other than the resulting corporation may hold property that was held by the transferor corporation immediately before the potential F reorganization; and
• immediately after the potential F reorganization, the resulting corporation may not hold property acquired from a corporation other than the transferor corporation if the resulting corporation would, as a result, succeed to and take into account the items of such other corporation described in Section 381(c).

Can you please explain what you mean by disclosure requirements?

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Item 9 of form 1120S states:

If the corporation was a C corporation in a prior year, or if it engaged in a tax-free reorganization with a C corporation, enter the amount of any accumulated earnings and profits (E&P) at the close of its 2015 tax year.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I mean are there any attachments to file according to 1.368 regs.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I already know the 6 requirements to qualify for 368(f) treatment - my question is now I know I qualify what do I need to disclose to IRS?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

The only thing that I see that form 1120S requires on this is at item 9 since it is a tax-free reorg. If the IRS wants you to prove that up, then they will ask for it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do I need to file for a new S-Corp election once I take my VA s-corp and domesticate it to FL? I think the year doesn't change and all attributes carry over. I am still confused that there is NO reporting or statement to attach. I would think the IRS would want to know you changed your state of incorporation.

Related Business Law Questions