How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Irwin Law Your Own Question
Irwin Law
Irwin Law, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 7415
Experience:  30+ yrs. representing small business, real estate, probate
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Irwin Law is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I transferred/sold a car to a friend of mine. We agreed that

Customer Question

I transferred/sold a car to a friend of mine. We agreed that she would pay monthly payments of $308 for 4 years to pay me off for the car. She paid the first 3 years of payments. She is now 5 months behind on the payments. I want to file a lien against the car in the State of California. How do I do this? What forms do I fill out? Do I turn the forms into the California DMV? Do I need to take the forms to the California DMV in person or can I mail them in?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.

Posted in error.

Expert:  Irwin Law replied 1 year ago.

When you transferred the title without retaining a lien under the provisions of the Uniform Commercial Code you probably lost your lien rights. I doubt that there is any form you can file at this late date to place a lien against the car when none was placed on it originally. California DMV regulations are not that plane so call them to determine exactly what rights you may still have, if any.