How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 117370
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a retired contractor that had a specialty license and a

Customer Question

I am a retired contractor that had a specialty license and a I still have some of my equipment for cutting concrete and asphalt. I was an owner operator company with no employees and had my license for 15-20 years. Several times a week people call me and I do small residential jobs that are 1 to 2 hours. Yesterday I cut about 15 ft of concrete at a residence for plumbing and my competitor apparently saw me there and called L&I. People know I am no longer licensed or insured before I do their job. I am retired because I am in my 70's and don't want to work much anymore. I do not advertise or call people and am well known in the area so people still have my number and call me. Is this okay for me to do as a "handyman" type of work?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Under WA law, "Handyman" is defined as a contractor who is an individual who does all work personally without employees or other specialty contractors. A handyman may perform more than one unrelated specialty trade or craft provided they do all work themselves. All work shall be limited to minor and casual work of existing residential maintenance and repair with a total dollar value of time and materials under two thousand dollars. Work requiring a building permit may not be done by this specialty.
So if your work falls into that category you may perform as a handyman.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Did you have any additional questions for us?

Related Business Law Questions