How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KJLLAW Your Own Question
KJLLAW, Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 1388
Experience:  Attorney at Law Office of KJLLAW
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
KJLLAW is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My father passed away 3 years ago and I was his POA. I just

Customer Question

My father passed away 3 years ago and I was his POA. I just received a check in the mail paid to the order of Est of (fathers name). The letter with it states it is for fees wrongfully charged to him. Can I cash the check?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 1 year ago.
Good evening. Since they made out the check to the "Estate of your father" unless you are the administrator of the estate or his executor under the will, you cannot cash it. The check has to be deposited in an "estate bank account." If he didn't have a will you can go to the court to be appointed as administrator of his estate and then open a "bank account in the estate of his name", and then deposit the check. The POA expired after he passed away.
Expert:  KJLLAW replied 1 year ago.
If you are satisfied please rate the answer as "positive" for tracking and credit purposes. Thank you.

Related Business Law Questions