Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Attorney
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and helped a number of businesses with litigation.
11068102

I W OF CONTRACT BETWEEN MYSELF AND GALEN RICHARD

Customer Question

I W FOR BREACH OF CONTRACT BETWEEN MYSELF AND GALEN RICHARD FIELD. I WAS AWARDED $60, 000 IN A UTAH COURT CASE #***** TO INCLUDE LEGAL FEES AND INTEREST AS OUTLINED IN CONTRACTS AND PROMISSORY NOTES AND HAVE RECEIVED ONLY 1 PMNT TO DATE. DEFENDANT LIVES AND WORKS IN BOCA RATON NOW...I LIVE IN COLORADO. CAN I/HOW DO I FILE THIS CLAIM IN FLORIDA? IS THERE A STATUTE LIMITING THE TIME FRAME DURING WHICH I CAN COLLECT? EMAILS TO MR. FIELD GAVE HIM UNTIL JULY 1, 2016 TO RESPOND BY FORWARDING A CASHIER'S CHECK MADE OUT TO ME, JUDITH D. HUNTER, FOR THE FULL AMOUNT. WHAT WOULD BE THE NEXT LEGAL ACTION TO PROCEED WITH?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Dwayne B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms. A Florida employer is not obligated to follow or honor a wage garnishment order issued by the court of another state. A Utah judgment is valid for 8 years. A judgment creditor can file a motion to renew the judgment but it must be done before the 8 years expires. As to how to collect, you would need to "domesticate a foreign judgment" in Florida. You likely will want to hire a lawyer there in Florida to file the papers and to assist in collecting but you can ask the Florida court to add those amounts onto the judgment as well. Once the order has been domesticated in Florida it becomes a Florida judgment and you can ask the court there to issue a wage garnishment order, etc.