Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney
Experience:  I am a practicing attorney. I have experience in business law, bankruptcy, real estate law and estates.
63724254

I am a teacher of special needs students in the state of Washington.

Customer Question

I am a teacher of special needs students in the state of Washington. Many years ago, due to state funding and cirrculum needs, we wrote a grant to help finance our program with the use of a small business. We were granted the loan and purchased a small latte cart which we put into operation in our school. For over 20 years this program has been providing training to our sp. needs kids, genrating funds for other needs in our program, and providing a way for our Special needs students to experience community access oportunities that otherwise could not have happened for them without the funding we had available . All we were told to do was set up a central account with the district, deposit money aand given a procurment card for expences. Now they want us to go under the unberella otf The student body account, deposit the money in their account. Then we can fill out all the paperwork needed and then request the amount of money we need. It then has to be voted on wheter or not they will release thoise fund to us. This can only happen after we establish oursleves as a club. My question to you is : Can't we put these fund uder the heading of Special Ed. funding for cirruclum for special needs students? Do we have to open up our funing for the entire student body? Any help you can give would be greatly apperciated!! I am to meet with them today and I wanted to know my options!! Thank you
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Attorney2020 replied 1 year ago.
Your proposition is reasonable. However, the one who makes the rules has the discretion. You will have to convince them why your way is better for everyone and suggest it be implemented. There is no legal basis for your proposition nor is there a legal basis for the proposition regarding the sponsors, at this point it should be whatever makes most sense for everyone.I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One more question: I am told that any operation or business opened on school property makes all monies generated, property of the school district. But if this business was financed by a grant specifically written for our Sp. Ed. program, can they make us adhere to this plan that opens up our funds and training program to everyone?
The issue becomes whether the school rules can override the rules of the granting sponsor. Presumably, school rules on school property govern. However, school implementing a policy that requires the funding that was specifically for special education to now open up to all students would be a violation of the terms of the grant and possibly lose out on the grant funds.Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.
I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.