How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 118252
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I bought a car from a lady. Her son gave her permission to

Customer Question

I bought a car from a lady. Her son gave her permission to sell it. So I signed where it said buyer's signature and wrote her a check for $1,000. An ex-employee took off in the car and will not return it. I got the car back only for her to take it again and for the police officer to tell me that she had a note saying the car was a gift. I told the police officer I did not give her this car as a gift I did not see this piece of paper and I did not sign this piece of paper. The police let her take the car home and they put a restraining order against me. We'll come to find out the car was sold to me illegally, the lady's son had not sign the car over to the mother so therefore the title was no good. So we went to the courthouse to get a duplicate car title and Alex is supposed to pick up the title tomorrow the boy that owns a car and sign it over to me. My question is how do I get this car back from the lady that has it. She lives in a different County than I do.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you did not have proper title, the police nor courts could enforce your ownership rights. Once you get the proper title, then you can go with the police in her county where the car is located to get your car, but if the police refuse because of that letter, you need to file a suit against the lady for "replevin" meaning return of your vehicle and also for conversion (use of your property) and seen not only return of the car, but also money damages for her using and putting miles on the car.
You also can pursue criminal charges for forgery if she forged your signature on the alleged donation letter by going to the district attorney in her county with all of your documentary proof.