Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Our church owns a parsonage but the minister has chosen to

Customer Question

our church owns a parsonage but the minister has chosen to move to another house. may we rent out the parsonage/?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what do want?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Business Lawyers generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
our united Methodist Church is a nonprofit of course. our pastor has chosen to move out of the 28k in interest property takes and maintainense.church owned parsonage to another home. Can we rent the parsonage with out jeopardizing our status? the gross rental income woud be 42k a year but the costs are about 28k a year in interest, property tax and maintenance. the total operation budget of the church is about 700k a year plus designated giving to charitable causes.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Unfortunately, you cannot without jeopardizing your nonprofit status. The parsonage cannot be rented out. Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this. Thank you for your cooperation.