Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

I am considering filing a suit against my company of

Customer Question
I am considering filing a...
I am considering filing a suit against my company for lack of overtime. I am located in Maryland, the office is in Colorado. The company is incorporated in Delaware. Which state should I file in?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
3/31/2016
Business Lawyer: MDLaw, Attorney replied 1 year ago
MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney

Do you work for them in Maryland? When you say lack of overtime, can you be more specific?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I work in several states for them. Maryland, Delaware, New York, New Jersey, Virginia are my coverage area. I am classified as an exempt employee and I believe that the classification is in error.

A suit alleging that you have been incorrectly classified as exempt would be a suit under the Fair Labor Standards Act which is federal law. Therefore, you would want to file suit in the federal court where you reside. You can sue them in any federal court but if you live in Maryland, it would be more convenient for you to file there since you will have to go to court.

Please let me know if this has answered your question. If it has, could you please be so kind as to leave a positive rating so that I may receive credit for having assisted you. If you need further information, simply reply back and I'd be happy to continue assisting you. Thank you for allowing me to help you this evening.

Do you need any additional information? If not, please be so kind as to leave a positive rating so that I may receive credit for the time spent assisting you.

MDLaw
MDLaw
MDLaw, Attorney