How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Category: Business Law
Satisfied Customers: 116716
Experience:  All corporate law, including non-profits and charitable fraternal organizations.
Type Your Business Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have worked as Union iron worker and in doing so payed In

Customer Question

I have worked as Union iron worker and in doing so payed In to pension fund. Our benefits are payed to pension by contractor . I worked for 2 contractors in Al.from 2003 to about 2006 in that time the contractors sent my contributions to a Birmingham local union #92 without my knowledge when it should have been sent to my local union pension in Florida.I just found this out when checking my credits at my local and found hrs missing.i contacted contractors and they said they paid to Birmingham .I then contacted Birmingham local and they said they had absorbed my contributions in the fund for inactivity.i ask the trustees about the hrs and contributions and was told I should have filled out a reciprocal card and it was my fault. I didn't authorize any contributions to go there and was never presented a reciprocal card from that union hall in fact most of hrs were earned far from that local area.what can I do to get my contributions back to my fund
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Union pensions are a matter of contract, so what happens in these cases are based on the contract. If you did not authorize contributions and they did not give you notice back when those contributions were made. If the union will not turn over your contributions to you and never provided you any notice of the contributions, you are going to have get a local attorney in AL to sue the union pension for recovery of your funds based on their breach of contract and lack of notice to you regarding the claiming of the funds before they became inactive and were absorbed.