Barrister, Attorney
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney, JD, BA, MBA
19958803

Barrister I talked to you in the past, case still ongoing

Customer Question

Hello barristerI talked to you in the past, case still ongoing
Category: Business Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The plumber who cut out pipes at job site in Miami fl after taking him months to get to first inspection ( we were reframing currently so I gave him benefit of the doubt) contact sum 14k
Downpaymet 7k ! Ca. 3x industry standard - worked w plumber before and thought we had a business and trust relationship;
The lawyer who is handling the case is shutting down his practice - so it seems I'm back at square one !Reg. Plumber and detail
After cutting out of the pipe - I called the police to make a report - you answered my question back than - installed fixtures become part of the property !
Having a police report in hand, prove of a hefty down payment, and a finished typed up lawsuit so to speak - by mentioned attorney , is there a way to file the suit against plumber w/o lawyer ?Would like to hear your input and suggestion
Best,
Alex
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

.

The problem you will run into here is that FL has a small claims limit of $5,000 so you could sue for up to that amount by filing your own small claims case and representing yourself. But anything over that you would lose because the judge couldn't award more than that.

.

You would have to go down to the local small claims court and pick up a summons and complaint form from the clerk that you would complete and file. Then you would have the sheriff serve it on the plumber. The clerk can help with that. Then you just gather your evidence and appear on the assigned date to tell your story. The plumber will tell his, and the judge will decide the case.

.

I see that the previous question is still open with my service unrated at this time. If you could take a moment to rate my service on the prior question, I would greatly appreciate it as I only get credit for my work once the questions are rated..

.

Link to previous question: http://professional.justanswer.com/chat/index/2ccd5fdec2734943bd8c161ede64a6c9

.

.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Small claims is not an option f me - bec suit would be 15k considering accrue te lawyer fees and damages incurred on my end - finding new plumber, holding up a major house renovation , and the plumber - called the owners trying to - not Shure what he tried to accomplish - the whole thing sounds more out of a movie -
At least no issues w my clients , but I really want to get my money back - three was no reason for this guy to cut it out in the first place