Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I was the President of an association in clarke county, I…

Customer Question
I was the President of...
I was the President of an association in clarke county virginia, I was told by a board of supervisor chairman that I had to resign in order for the community could receive the benefit of a grant in the amount of one million dollars for infurstructure and home improvement,
Was it legal for a board of supervisor member to tell me to resign from being the president or the community would not be able to apply for federal funding?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
3/10/2016
Business Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information. However, I am unclear as to a few issues. One is what was the reason given by the person telling you that the association wouldn't receive a grant unless you resigned? In other words, what did they tell you the reason was for denial of the grant if you were President? Also, did you have term contract of some type that was violated by this action.

The person told me that the town or the county did not wan't to do business with me due to the fact that I has sued them for
illegal annexation in2004.
The town and the county was trying to get the senior citizens to sign over to the town a deed of trust for the repairs that was suppose to be completed out of the grant funds and on one week before the grant was to be submitted the town and the
organization told the home owners that it would be a loan and not a grant. I was a member of the management team and during the 16 month's it was never brought up in any meeting that the grant was to be a loan. The reason is now clear to me and that the Town and County was trying to steal the minority home owners property to increase their industrial park.
my phone number is(###) ###-####call me if you do not understand.

Thank you for your reply, although I don't see where you answered my question about whether you had a term contract with this association. That is key here since without one, or some other written document that would be breached by the action of advising you or directing you to resign, there would be nothing illegal in the Board's action. That wouldn't necessarily make it right from an ethical standpoint (that I couldn't say without the facts from their perspective), but it would make it legal. Anyone who serves at the pleasure of an organization or employer can be let go without cause at any time, absent the contract I mentioned.

It does though sound like there might be an issue with the actions of the town and county in pressuring the organization or refusing to deal with them. That might be where your action lie, however, that is beyond the scope of what this Site can do for you since this is not a personal representation site, but instead a legal information site. You should consider sitting down with a local attorney and discuss the actions of the town or county in regards ***** ***** pressure they put on the association and whether, under local law, it might be unlawful retaliation, or interference with a contract.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 11th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue, if needed. Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Attorney