Business Law

Ask a Business Lawyer. Get Business Law Questions Answered ASAP.

Business Law

My husband and I own a construction business in Nebraska.

Customer Question
Recently he put in an...
My husband and I own a construction business in Nebraska. Recently he put in an estimate to build a house for a customer, the bid was accepted and the project began. The house is being funded by a construction loan, and the bank has been paying for work that has been completed. Recently we submitted a bill for completed work and there was a disagreement on the bill, and the customer is refusing to pay. What are my rights as a contractor in Nebraska?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Business Law
3/9/2016
Business Lawyer: Ely, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Ely, Attorney

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. First, the contractor can file a lien. See HERE. For specific instructions on how to file said lien, see HERE. This is the primary way that contractors force payment for outstanding bills.

If this does not resolve the matter, the party may also be sued in Court for breach of contract. However in many cases, simply filing the lien (or even threatening to do so) resolves the matter.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!
Ely, Attorney