Ely, Attorney
Experience:  Counselor at Law.
7286322

We've had a gardening business 25 years. Now, some of our

Customer Question

We've had a gardening business for over 25 years. Now, some of our customers are asking us to provide them with receipts of the materials we used when we give them a proposal for a job to be done on their property. Is that legal? Should we do it?
Also, in our proposals (bids), we list the materials and work to be done. We also add a guesstimate of "labor" costs. We pay our gardeners $15 an hour (CA), but how do we also calculate other expenses into the proposal - gasoline, insurances, our taxes, and, very important, our PROFIT?
Category: Business Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Unless there is a contract that states that the contractor would provide receipts, then there is no law that they have to. In other words, the company does not have to provide receipts for a job that they are bidding on, or, are working on, unless a written contract states so.

So no, there is no such mandate to do so, unless the company wants to. Most contractors would simply dismiss the request.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.

Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello again. This is a courtesy check in to see if you needed anything else in regards ***** ***** question because you never responded or replied positively. I am simply touching base. Let me know. Thanks!