Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

I've been involved in a startup past 4 years, starting with…

Customer Question
I've been involved in...

I've been involved in a startup for the past 4 years, starting with 2 others. I am not on any documents of incorporation, but I am currently an officer at the company. I have yet to receive my first dollar salary. I have been promised equity, but nothing has been formalized. As the company is now taking off, I am growing increasingly anxious about the situation. What is ultimately my legal recourse?

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
3/7/2016
Business Lawyer: Richard, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Richard, Attorney

Good morning! Can you provide me a bit more information? I'm presuming that you can substantiate that this equity was promised to you even though it has not been formalized....is that correct? Thanks.

Nothing was ever promised in writing. I have witnesses. There is plenty of real evidence that I have been an employee (business cards, business email address etc).

Thanks for following up. If they won't voluntarily issue you the equity that has been promised you, you will have to file a suit against them to ask the court to enforce their promises. And, if you are forced to file the suit, you want them to know you will be raising the stakes by seeking not only that the equity be issued to you, but also punitive damages due to their intentional bad faith. If there is nothing in writing, it is a bit more difficult. But, the lack of a written contract can be overcome by the concepts of promissory estoppel, detrimental reliance, and unjust enrichment. This situation arises when Person A relied upon the verbal agreement, Person A performed based on such reliance, and because Person B defaulted, such reliance is now to Person A's detriment. Where there is i) partial performance by Person A based upon the mutual promises, ii) Person A relied upon such promises to perform, iii) Person B's failure to perform would be to Person A's detriment, and iv) result in Person B being unjustly enriched, Person A can overcome the legal requirement that the agreement be in writing. Your situation would satisfy all the foregoing elements. One suggestion that I would make is to get your witnesses to sign sworn affidavits evidencing the promises to protect yourself against them flaking out at you at trial.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Thanks Richard. How about the foregone wages, in my estimation in excess of 2000 hours, do those have to be paid when the company turns profitable?

You're very welcome...yes, those would be part of your damages. :)

Richard, Attorney