Business Law

Ask a business lLawyer. Get business law questions answered ASAP.

We have a company (calling it ABC Publishing LLC) that

Customer Question
We have a company (calling...
We have a company (calling it for example ABC Publishing LLC) that publishes books in graphics software. We are now planning to publish books on marketing and business topics. However, we want to publish these books (i.e. on marketing & business) under a different name, for example say Valley Books. However, I'm not sure whether we should register a company in the name of Valley Books separately? Or file a trademark for Valley Books? I have seen other publishers do this considering the example I cited in above they would call Valley Books is an imprint of ABC Publishing LLC.Thanks
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Business Law
3/6/2016
Business Lawyer: Attorney2020, Attorney replied 2 years ago
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney

Trademarking Valley Books and registering as a DBA would suffice for your purposes as it would have a separate brand from the publishing company. However, all of the assets and liabilities of Valley Books would also be that of the LLC so if you wee intending to separate the assets of liabilities having a dba would not fulfill that purpose.

I hope that helped. Please ask any follow-up questions. Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Is filing a trademark necessary? Or would DBA alone would suffice? What must be done in order to separate assets/liabilities from brand name (i.e. valley books from example in this thread) and parent publishing company? Thanks

Trademark is not necessary but would secured added protection on any brand protection. To separate assets and liabilities you must file separate LC's and maintained separate business records etc...

What is separate LC's - did you mean LLC? Please clarify. Thanks

Yes, I meant LLC's. Thanks.

Please rate my answer so that I may be credited for my time. I thank you in advance for your cooperation.

Attorney2020
Attorney2020
Attorney2020, Attorney